When thinking about gifts for new moms in the hospital, it can sometimes be difficult thinking about what gift to give. With Covid, some hospitals are still putting a limit on visitors.
This new mom gift guide works great if you cannot visit and want to have a gift delivered and it works just as well for the laboring mom, gifts for Mother’s Day, or birthday gifts for moms.
Gifts For Sick Mom
For various reasons, some mamas have to get admitted to a hospital’s antepartum unit for weeks prior to delivery. After the first couple of days, it sets in the hospital is now home until delivery.
You can help them get through the long weeks by bringing them entertainment and we all know it’s hard to get a good night’s sleep, items for sleep helps too.
- Streaming services such as; Prime for t.v. and gaming. If they don’t already have a Netflix subscription, get them a Netflix gift card to stream some shows to pass time.
Gifts For New Moms In The Hospital
Gift Basket For New Mom
Postpartum Recovery Box- An extremely thoughtful gift for new moms in the hospital is a postpartum gift basket with items a new mom will use. They can use items from their gift basket while in the hospital or they can wait until they are home.
- Mesh underwear
- Perineal heat/cool pack
- Tucks pads
- Perineal cleansing bottle
- Sitz bath pads
- Affirmation card
Care Package- Useful gifts for new parents in the hospital are care packages full of goodies. You can never go wrong sending snacks as gifts for new moms in the hospital, especially for mom’s partner.
It’s also a great choice for after delivery. Either way, it works as a wonderful new mom hospital gift basket with items she will need.
- Chips or popcorn
- (5) Energy drink mix
- Fig bars
- Chocolate bar
- Tucks pads
- Assorted tea
- Lip balm
- Affirmation card
Fruit Gift Basket- This gourmet fruit basket is a great congratulatory gift for the new parents in the hospital.
This one includes:
- Red apples
- Sea salt caramel sauce
- Chocolate-covered cherries
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Peanut butter crunch
- Belgian chocolates
- Personal card to send.
Food is always an excellent gift to send a new mom in the hospital! 🙂
If mom is breastfeeding, you can also put together a nursing basket full of Breastfeeding Essentials Every Mom Needs.
Hospital Gift For New Mom & Baby
Mom & Baby Matching Outfits- it’s difficult to come up with ideas for gifts for new moms in the hospital, but if mom is thinking about taking newborn photos, then a matching set would be perfect and it makes a great hospital baby gift.
The set comes in a variety of patterns for both girls and boys. From blue tie-dye to aqua floral. It comes with 1 maternity robe and a swaddle set for their newborn. It’s the perfect hospital gift for new moms.
If she doesn’t need a set, a simple lightweight robe for mom while in the hospital is a necessity.
Gifts For New Moms After Birth
Going Home Outfit For Mom- After birth comes the aches and pains. Send the new mom home with a comfortable outfit. The set comes in XS-XL. It’s a white v-neck t-shirt which reads “My New Name Is Mommy” and dark grey sweatpants. The sweatpants have “Mom Life” written on them.
Comfort Dress- For the new mommy-to-be gifts should always include comfortable attire, right? What’s wonderful about this gorgeous dress is it can work as a maternity dress for mama’s growing belly. It can also be a fantastic option for a going-home outfit to help mama feel good after giving birth.
It comes in a variety of colors, flows, and is stretchy.
They are white with mama written on each in black.
A robe and slippers are by far the best gift for a new mom in the hospital.
You can check out Realistic C Section Hospital bag, which works for planned vaginal delivery too.
Welcome Sign- If you are looking for some new mom gift ideas while in the hospital, a welcome sign is a good choice. You can pick from 4 inches to 24 inches.
Everyone wants to know what baby weighed, how long the baby is, the time of delivery, and the baby’s name. All the answers can go right here. The ideal new baby hospital gift.
Mama Rainbow Mug- Bring mom a mug for a nice cup of hot tea after delivery.
Nursing Cover- Sometimes one truly doesn’t get much privacy while in the hospital and for the modest mom, covering up while breastfeeding is important.
So if you’re wondering what to bring a new mom in the hospital, a nursing cover is a fantastic choice.
Related: Gifts For Expecting Moms
New Mom Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
Mama Necklace- A beautiful gift for first-time moms is a “mama necklace”. Becoming a mother is a prideful time and an emotional one, too. Make mama feel special by gifting her a gorgeous mama necklace.
Mommy’s Mug- My all-time favorite item I received for Mother’s Day from my husband is my personalized mug. If you are looking for new mom gifts, this one is the absolute sweetest.
They can personalize it to say whatever you like and you can have your favorite photo of your baby on the mug. It’s printed on both sides.
You can see mine here.
Keepsake Box- A Keepsake Box is the sweetest and best gift for new moms. Give the new mother a beautiful keepsake box to keep all the baby’s most treasured items. Made from vegan leather and has a removable frame.
- (7) storage compartments
- A monogram, name, or date can be added.
This also makes for outstanding baby gifts for first-time parents.
Personalized Mother’s Birthstone Footprints Pendant– They can personalize this pendant with one birthstone of your choice. Can also be customized with up to eight characters on each line, a total of two lines.
A design that can be done is the baby’s name on one footprint and birthdate on the other.
Beaded bracelet– A gold “Badass” beaded bracelet to let mama know that’s exactly what she is! She just delivered a whole human!
Solly Baby Carrier- A Solly baby carrier is one of the best baby carriers around and not only is there mama & baby bundle a useful gift, but it can make a special gift for a daughter’s first mother’s day.
- Baby wrap
- Baby swaddle
- A candle
- A gift box to put the items in.
Flowers For New Mom In The Hospital
If you run out of ideas for gifts to send to a new mom, you can never go wrong with a beautiful bouquet.
Gifts For New Parents
Mom & Dad Decision Coin- A funny gift for the sleep-deprived parents is a flip coin. One coin says “Mummy’s Turn” and the other says “Daddy’s Turn”.
When it’s time for the exhausted parents to decide who changes the baby’s diaper, whose turn it is to bathe the baby or get their little one dressed, they can flip for it. LOL.
New Parent Gift Basket- A wonderful gift for the new parents is a gift basket to include glass coffee mugs for mom & dad.
- Mama mug in gold writing.
- Dad mug in gold writing.
- Personalized newborn onesies.
- There are 4 different add-on options that can be included in the gift basket.
Labor Gifts For Mom
Non-Skid Socks- A good gift for new moms in the hospital is non-skid socks. The last thing we want is for a mom to take a tumble and wearing non-skid socks helps prevent that.
What makes these so great is they are inspirational and funny. With sayings like “If you can read this, bring tacos.” Comes in a variety of colors and they are one size fits most.
Labor & Postpartum Gift Box- This gift box will take care of some of mom’s labor and postpartum needs.
- Water bottle
- Sleep mask
- Third Trimester Tea or Milkmaid Tea
- “Push” socks
- Belly oil
- Lip balm
- (2) Cold packs
- Perineal spray
- Breast pads & nipple butter
A few add-on options are available.
Birth Affirmation Cards- Whether mom is delivering vaginally or by c-section, delivering a human is a lot of work! Every mama can use a little extra encouragement to keep them motivated and get them to the finish line.
Not only are these affirmation cards beautifully made, but they give mama the encouragement she needs.
If mom has delivered by c-section, you can check out C Section Recovery Kit- The Essentials. There are many must-have items you can put together as a gift basket for the new mama.
- Know hospital visiting hours.
- Give parents time to bond with their new baby.
- Don’t just show up. Give the new parents time to rest and take in everything.
- Be sure to ask the parents if it’s ok to hold their baby.
- Wash your hands before holding the baby.
Gifts For New Moms In The Hospital FAQs
What do you bring a new mom in the hospital?
- Congrats card and balloons.
- A delicious congratulatory meal.
- If mom’s partner cannot step away and go home. Bring dad some fresh clothes, food, and/or snacks.
What do you get a new mother after birth?
- Gift basket.
- Welcome sign for baby.
- Going home outfit for baby.
- Postpartum care kit.
What do you get someone who just came home from the hospital?
- Offer your time to cook a meal. You can also do this before delivery and freeze the meals for new parents. It’s another way for them not to have to worry about cooking.
- Offer to do a little housekeeping. Clean the house before mom and dad come home with the baby.
- Grab some groceries for the new parents.
- Or drop off food with some extras that mom and dad can freeze for later.
- Some laundry.
- Visit with the baby so mom and dad can get some rest.
What is a good gift for new parents?
If they don’t already have a baby cam, it’s a wonderful gift for new parents.
What do new mothers need most?
- Support- Remember, it takes a village!
- Words of encouragement, especially if this is mom’s first child. Everyone is trying to figure things out. “You are doing a great job”, can go a long way.
- Rest! I can’t stress this enough: new parents are exhausted and some days they don’t know if they are coming or going. Offer the new parents time to get rest.
- If you want to know what new moms need most for their baby, head over to Baby Essentials First 3 Months & Beyond.
What is the best advice for a new mom?
- There is no playbook.
- Take things one day at a time.
- Do what works for you and your family. Don’t listen to the other noise.
- Make adjustments as you need to.
- The days are long, and some days are extremely difficult. As you create a routine and learn about your baby day by day. Bit by bit, it gets a little easier.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.